Welcome to Two Studio Art

Welcome to my blog. I am an artist living in two places therefore the name Two Studio Art. I normally paint in oil but I also enjoy working with pastels. A recent trend in painting is to paint in a small format and to paint often to improve one's skills. While I'm not a daily painter (too many other commitments) I try to paint at least once or twice a week. I recently started painting in plein air and find it a way to really connect with the colors seen in the environment. I am an instructor at Blue Raven Studio in Kayenta at Ivins, Utah where I teach a class at Canvas a la Carte. I also show my work at Blue Raven so stop by and take a look at the paintings that I don't get posted on my blog. I hope you enjoy your visit and return often.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Native American Portraits, Dexter, and Tuscany

I've spent the last few weeks painting Native Americans from historic photos. When I paint these faces I become very involved emotionally with the painting and what these peoples lives must have been like, their status in the tribe, how they lived and their daily routine. It seems each time I paint a face there is also something familiar. After painting Uwat, the second painting here I had two family members comment that she reminded them of Molly Head. I find these resemblances so interesting. It seems to show the commonality of mankind. Dog Woman, the first painting here must have had a lot of prestige in the tribe as indicated by all of the elk teeth sewn on her dress and Luqaiot has such a proud look about him. The dog is Dexter, the studio dog belonging to the owner of Blue Raven Studio and the last two paintings are tiny little paintings of Tuscany that I painted from photos I took when we were there several years ago. The rest of my time has been spent teaching Canvas a la Carte classes and teaching a one day Color Pencil Workshop.
LinkLink









No comments:

Post a Comment